2: Yes, George, it’s nice to meet you. Have a seat.
1. Rick, would it be okay if I got a coffee?
2: Absolutely, go ahead and then we can get started.
1. Can I get you anything?
2. No thank you, I’m good.
2. How was your drive?
1. Good. I’m only about twenty minutes. The traffic wasn’t too bad.
2. Is traffic something that bothers you?
1. No, not at all. My last job had me driving around a lot.
2. Tell me about that.
1. I was working with The Big Soda Company in an internship program with my university. I delivered different products to events and then spent time with the social media post promotion of the those events, taking photos of people holding the drinks. In fact, I was listed as the top promoter for the month of April.
2: That’s cool. How about driving? Are you okay driving a large area?
1. Absolutely. I’m used to five or six hours in a van delivering product.
2. Good, I know I keep asking about driving, but the last guy quit because of too much driving.
1. So what is the territory?
2. Atlantic City to Cape May to Middletown to Elkton to Chester County PA and east to the Atlantic.
2. That’s a lot of driving.
1. Not a problem, but how do I manage all of the tolls.
2. We would pay for your EZ-pass.
2. So, you’re have just graduated, why should we hire you.
1. I’m motivated to enter this industry. The work is hard and there are long hours, but I want to make a career in this field. What I lack in experience, I more than make up for in work ethic.
2. And you don’t mind driving?
1. Not at all.
2. How familiar are you with Georgetown?
1. Hoyas or Delaware?
1. I know the area well. My family has a house in Cape Henlopen.
2. That’s good, we are looking to grow our business down at Wilmington University there.
1. Cool, that would work well for us because I could catch the ferry from Cape May, promote the drink on the boat, and then drive down to the Georgetown. Then, if it’s okay, I could crash at my parent’s house and start up through Delaware the next day.
2. I like that. What questions do you have for me?
1. What’s the relationship between MegaStar and Big Soda Company?
2. We are a frenemy to them. The distribute our drink, but they also have their own sports energy drink.
1. So, when I meet with those guys, I have to be careful as to how much I demand. It’s more about getting them to like us.
2. Exactly, you can drive them too hard.
1. I know a few of those guys, so I don’t think it will be much of problem?
2. Anything else?
1. Why did you switch from The Other Big Soda Company to MegaStar? You were the number one rep on the east coast. It seems like a strange move for you.
2. Wow, that’s good. Where did you find that information?
2. Oh, I left because I didn’t want to get stale. I like coffee, but MegaStar is so much better and the company is small. That allowed me a lot of freedom that I didn’t have when I was at The Other Big Soda Company. Don’t get me wrong, the change was hard and the The Big Soda Company guys still give me a hard time, but it’s made me hustle a lot more. That’s a great challenge and I love that kind of pressure.
1. I can tell.
2. I’m wondering and this has nothing to do with anything, but are you married, dating, single…?
2. Let me tell you that this is the best job for that. You will have a job right out of college, you’ll have a van that shows what a great product you are selling, and you’ll get to go to all the events that draw all the hottest people. I’m just say that the market will be full of opportunity if you know what I mean.
1. Yeah, that sounds like a real benefit as long as its kept in perspective.
2. Exactly, but you didn’t hear that from me.
2. Keep in mind, though, that all of the vans are equipped by GPS and we track distances and times stopped. We don’t micromanage, but we like to know where the vans are. One guy took a trip to Virginia in his fan on his days off. We had to let him go.
1. I can see why.
2. Okay, if there’s nothing else, HR will get back to you by the end of the week. It was nice talking with you.
1. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you. I’m ready to be with MegaStar.